Sunday, November 25, 2007

Shakespeare

Have a hankering for some Shakespeare to break up the afternoon? Are you in Grade 9 and wanting to review Romeo and Juliet? What about some Othello for the students in grade 12? I still find Hamlet a favourite - but then King Lear is special and a year without MacBeth would be troubling too!

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/

Check out this quote page!

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~tmd/william.htm#heaven

And another:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/william_shakespeare.html

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Still one of my favourite quotes after all!
L

3 comments:

J Martin said...

Thanks for all the Shakespeare links! Hmmm. My mother always quotes that line about protesting when I'm stating my opinion (forcefully). My favourite Shakespeare quotation comes from As You Like It: "All the world's a stage,/And all the men and women merely players:/They have their exits and entrances..."

I think every student should have the opportunity to study Shakespeare. What do you think?
-Julie

Lorna Reads said...

Oh for sure. I think Shakespeare is like candy...a long walk on a fall afternoon... dozing on the couch during an old movie ... stopping in to see an old friend for the first time in months....
When I did my student teaching I ended up in an OAC class (the last) for 7 weeks and it was amazing to feel the old Shakespeare brain come to life again! J

J Martin said...

My favourite plays to teach are Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet. My swordfighting training came in handy for R & J. Even though I am in the library full-time now, I still get my Shakespeare fix. English teachers bring their classes to the library to research Elizabethan England. We also celebrate Shakespeare's birthday in April. Teachers and students dress like their favourite characters. 'Tis fun!

Robertson Davies said that reading Shakespeare equips one for life. I agree.
-Julie